Soldat CTF League Forums ~ Archive Forum Index

<  SCTFL Staff Talk  ~  Scripting [SCTFL11]

mar77a
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 07 Oct 2006 Posts: 117 Location: Argentina
During 1.4.1, xurich and I realised the issue that server side scripting was. With it, pretty much everything is possible, from in-game commands to disabling weapons for certain players or giving them more/less health. For info on all the possible functions: http://enesce.com/help .

Luckily, enesce added something to help us detect if scripting is enabled. When you join any server in >1.4.2, you're able to do /info and receive the status of scripting like the screenshot shows.

I think we should warn all clans about this, maybe with a change in the rules, for the coming seasons.

20:03 <+ouchy`> i usually put my hands in my underpants
20:03 <+ouchy`> before important matches
20:03 <+ouchy`> warm them up
xurich
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Posts: 271 Location: Pennsylvania, USA
We should definitely establish a rule that forbids matches from being played on servers with scripting enabled. Server scripting is extremely easy to use and very effective at changing small things in the game that the opposing team would probably not even notice.

For example, when I was first experimenting with it a few weeks ago, I gave myself 1.5*RegularDamage against other players and 0.5*RegularDamage for all attacks against me. Then I asked some of my clan mates if they wanted to 1v1. It worked perfectly, and a couple of them didn't even seem to notice that anything was abnormal.

Most people would notice such a large change, but what if it was tweaked just a little bit, enough to give a slight advantage while being barely noticeable at all? Instead of 1.5/0.5, what if it were 1.1/0.9? It would be extremely difficult to tell, not to mention practically impossible to prove.

Now Enesce said that he would also force /info to give a message if the damage modifier has been altered (I'm not sure if he added it in 2.6.2), but the damage modifier is only one way that scripting can be abused. Enesce said that it was "too much crap" to write a message for each individual modifier, so we would not know if, for example, somebody wrote a script to increase their health slightly every few seconds or when a certain command is typed, or wrote a script to force spawn a few grenade/medkits in their base on command.

We should also make some type of post or announcement explaining the reasons that scripting must be disabled and explaining the possibilities that scripting would offer to opposing clans. This would be beneficial because a lot of clans may think that we're being picky and simply shrug off the rule as something insignificant and unnecessary.
poop
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 22 Sep 2004 Posts: 1029 Location: USA
Since there is no reason a clanserver would be using scripting anyways, I think scripting should be disabled in all servers SCTFL matches are played in.

Doesnt matter if its someshit like a message that says "You have killed 15 people in a row" or whatever, just disable all scripts. They aren't necesary.

I also am inclined not to post about this until the next season starts, just to get a general idea about which clans might try to abuse this if they assume that we do not know about it.