Soldat CTF League Forums ~ Archive Forum Index

<  SCTFL Staff Talk  ~  2 nades?

poop
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 22 Sep 2004 Posts: 1029 Location: USA
Exactly what it states. I am kind of thinking of supporting a move to 2 max grenades in SCTFL and hopefully all other leagues. While the switch from 4 to 3 did make a difference, according to mar77a's gather stats, nades still get a whopping 22% of total kills, which used to be like 16% back in 1.2.1, when nades had that "lag". There was never really whine about nades being overpowered back then even with the 4 nade limit.

My basic math tells me that changing nade limit from 3 to 2, would make nade kills around 15%, which is close to what it used to be when there was no whine about nades.

Thoughts?

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 06 Jul 2005 Posts: 738 Location: France
I was already against lowering the amount of nades back when It was decreased, hence, I'm totally disagreeing.
I would like to keep it, as it is.

Also, I'm not trying to flame you or anything, but I can't care less about statistics, I mean who cares if its 22% or 15% of the total kills? At least I don't. The point is that the gameplay would be too affected by such a change.

The only reason people wanted to decrease the amount of nades was the nade spam. I don't want to go further on that way... what's next ? no nades at all because they're still 18% of the total kills on #sna.gather instead of 16% back in the 1.2.1 times?? This is so wrong.

Let's keep it 3!

(@xurich) if I'm not devirginized before next sctfl season, I am definitely quitting
(@xurich) allow me to make that clear
ramirez
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 06 Jul 2005 Posts: 310 Location: Finland
I agree with Ouchek. Reducing them to 2 would make the game less versatile as people tend to throw a nade at the first sight of an enemy, so it'd reduce the situations you could use nades in. 22% isn't too much statistically and to be honest, I think that if we reduced nades to 2 instead of people being happy it'd start a massive whining. People don't care about statistics (they don't even know them), and the only whine I've ever seen about nades is nade spam and that they don't register well enough, and nade spam isn't a serious problem with only 3 nades. On the other hand, if you only had two nades, it'd be more likely that due to lag/reg bugs even those two nades wouldn't be enough to kill an enemy in a situation where they should be enough.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 08 Feb 2006 Posts: 338
I'm for keeping it 3 aswell. Grenade spamming was more of an issue with 4 grenades ( and still is with those who abuse the +1 throwable grenade bug ), but three of these green horrors is just right. You can use one to boost, and two to kill: lowering the amount would slow down the game a bit, because by the second enemy you face, you're only left with your primary, while he might have grenade advantage. Respawn again, back to the mid, and repeat.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 06 Aug 2005 Posts: 1114 Location: Finland
I don't really have much to add after what has been said but I'm for 3 as well, I just don't think 2 is enough and frankly put, I don't care if the amount of nade kills is 22% or 15%. I'm very pleased with 3 nades.

AE/DragonSlayer
xurich
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Posts: 271 Location: Pennsylvania, USA
I'd prefer to keep 3 grenades. 22% isn't really that much at all; it's only a little over a fifth of the kills with a weapon that everybody has. That seems about right to me. 22% isn't a very significant increase from 16% either.

We should not make any decisions based purely on statistical information. Other factors should be considered as well, such as if a situation is actually even a problem at all (which I don't believe it is in this case), or how such a decision could end up affecting game play.
mar77a
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 07 Oct 2006 Posts: 117 Location: Argentina
Eh, yeah 3 is fine Smile

Another thing, nades are always (or almost) coupled with another weapon to be effective so there's no way to know (based in the stats) how many kills are actually from nades only (1 hit, 2 hit, w/e).

PS: ouchy loves stats, especially if they're made up

20:03 <+ouchy`> i usually put my hands in my underpants
20:03 <+ouchy`> before important matches
20:03 <+ouchy`> warm them up
Madchal
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
SRL Administrator Joined: 19 Feb 2006 Posts: 516 Location: Sweden
If it ain't broken, don't fix it.