Soldat CTF League Forums ~ Archive Forum Index

<  SCTFL Staff Talk  ~  SCTFL10 starts on Monday, DISCUSSION HERE NOW

DragonSlayer
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 06 Aug 2005 Posts: 1114 Location: Finland
After talking with those active on IRC, we decided to start SCTFL10 on Monday since it's taken such a long time to start already. So if there's anything you want to discuss, discuss it now. Inactivity should stop here.

Ender, can you change the intercontinental system. A lot of clans have players from both EU and NA and with the current system, you have to register clan for one continent and it will automatically count the match as intercontinental. We can't enforce the intercontinental rule with this system.

Quote:
*A match is considered intercontinental if the clans playing it are not from the same region (North-America, South-America, Eurabia (Europe + middle east), Far East (rest of asia) and sub saharan Africa). A clan can not get these bonus points if more than one playing member is not from the same continent as the rest.

When adding clans, the whole continent thing should be removed. We should be able to check a box (or leave it unchecked) for intercontinental matches when we count match reports because like I said, we can't enforce the intercontinental rule with the current system. To make it simple enough for us, clans have to put intercontinental in their topic title when they post match reports. I'll edit that to rules if we can do this.

Other conclusions we reached before:

- Majority wanted top 16 for playoffs
- Keep the current point system
- Same freeplay format

Things we have to decide:

- Shared banlist with SRL?
- A suggestion on fake reporters. Is this fine with you or not? Other suggestions?
Quote:
If the fake report is about someone's own clan, I say we should remove 3 points from the clan and give a yellow card to the reporter. If it's about someone else (happened in sctfl9), then the player will get a yellow card. Red card will follow with the next fake report.

- Back then, Ouchek suggested that clans should be allowed to play 4th map if they are tied after three maps. I think we shouldn't do this because it'll just add confusion and some clans might not even get it. And even if they do get it, they'll just claim that the fourth map was for fun and all that. It's not really worth it and ties should also occur. No big deal.

Anything else?

Last edited by DragonSlayer on Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

AE/DragonSlayer
Ouchek
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 06 Jul 2005 Posts: 738 Location: France
We agreed the share the same ban list with SRL in case it concerns hacking, otherwise I believe we shall not share it.

- Fake reports.

Quote:
If the fake report is about someone's own clan, I say we should remove 3 points from the clan and give a yellow card to the reporter. If it's about someone else (happened in sctfl9), then the player will get a yellow card. Red card will follow with the next fake report.

- Ties.

I don't mind it not being added, if the majority goes against, I'm fine.

(@xurich) if I'm not devirginized before next sctfl season, I am definitely quitting
(@xurich) allow me to make that clear
poop
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 22 Sep 2004 Posts: 1029 Location: USA
Quote:
Ender, can you change the intercontinental system. A lot of clans have players from both EU and NA and with the current system, you have to register clan for one continent and it will automatically count the match as intercontinental. We can't enforce the intercontinental rule with this system.

For this rule to work, it is essential that we enforce a rule where clans cannot change thier nicknames during a SCTFL clanwar from teh original nickname they posted on thier signup thread. Because if clans do that, we wont know who is who and thus cannot figure out intercontinental matches.

Quote:
- Shared banlist with SRL?

Ouchek is correct, hacking and more serious offenses only. We should work on this on a case-to-case basis.

Quote:

Wow, someone posted a fake report last SCTFL? that is very serious, I think the penalty should be more severe than 3 points on the first offense since we should punish the player not hte clan the player is from. I would suggest something like a ban for a certain period of time. But ouchek's suggestion can work also.

--------------------------------------------------

Other than this, I think we should add a "Snarfed" section to the statistics. Snarf = winning a round 10-0. This is nothing serious obviously but its nice to show which clans dominate the most.

Also, Dslayer you are a beta tester.. can you give a general idea of the new features we will eventually have to think about in terms of allowing or not allowing. How does the minimap work? Can we disable it for everyone in a server or not? Because if it only works for registered players, minimap should be disabled since we are not going to give a advantage (If it does give an advantage) to registered players only.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For this rule to work, it is essential that we enforce a rule where clans cannot change thier nicknames during a SCTFL clanwar from teh original nickname they posted on thier signup thread. Because if clans do that, we wont know who is who and thus cannot figure out intercontinental matches.

True, but this shouldn't be a problem, let's add a rule against that and that's it. You can usually tell by pings too.

Quote:
Wow, someone posted a fake report last SCTFL? that is very serious, I think the penalty should be more severe than 3 points on the first offense since we should punish the player not hte clan the player is from. I would suggest something like a ban for a certain period of time. But ouchek's suggestion can work also.

Okay, maybe not point deduction for the clan at all, and red card from a single fake report, be it for your own clan or not. That way we'll keep it simple and I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to post a fake report with such strict rules.

Quote:
Other than this, I think we should add a "Snarfed" section to the statistics. Snarf = winning a round 10-0. This is nothing serious obviously but its nice to show which clans dominate the most.

How exactly would this work? Sounds pretty cool.

Quote:
Also, Dslayer you are a beta tester.. can you give a general idea of the new features we will eventually have to think about in terms of allowing or not allowing. How does the minimap work? Can we disable it for everyone in a server or not? Because if it only works for registered players, minimap should be disabled since we are not going to give a advantage (If it does give an advantage) to registered players only.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can disable minimap on server side. I think minimap hardly gives you any advantage but to avoid any whining and to keep things as fair as possible, it's probably a good idea to have a rule against minimap, just like we have a rule against sniperline. That's only if it's possible though, I'll try to confirm that.

I don't think there are any other new features which will give any unfair advantages.

AE/DragonSlayer
poop
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

How exactly would this work? Sounds pretty cool.

Basically, if a clan beats another clan in a round 10-0, that would count as a "Snarf". We would simply need a section to add how many snarfs per game a clan got in the match reporter. I personally was thinking we should also add a winning Pct to the stats, but I suppose that does get too unnecesaty and complicated. Winning Pct meaning if a clan is 10-5, thier winning PCT is .666 or they win 66% of thier matches.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
True, but this shouldn't be a problem, let's add a rule against that and that's it. You can usually tell by pings too.

Yea true, but I also think not changing nicknames should be a rule in general anyways. If others dont have a problem, lets just make it a rule and then warn people that if they dont follow it matches will be void. Once you do that, nobody will ever change thier nick anywyas Smile

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm against it I think people should be allowed to use w/e the nick they want to.
I don't mind having to put the real nick with the fake one in the report though.

(@xurich) if I'm not devirginized before next sctfl season, I am definitely quitting
DragonSlayer
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I agree that we should have a rule against fake nicking in any case. I find it really annoying.

And the problem is that if you lose, the other team might not know who you were ouchek. It's not a problem in your own reports.

AE/DragonSlayer
Ouchek
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
They can still ask, can't they, in their match report too

xurich
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Posts: 271 Location: Pennsylvania, USA
A new intercontinental system would be nice. It would be great if we could determine which matches should be counted as intercontinental on a match-to-match basis.

I'm all for showing snarfs and/or win percentages. It would be a fun little statistic that doesn't count for anything.

Since the minimap will almost certainly give an advantage to registered players, then establishing a rule forcing it to be disabled server side is a must. Hopefully the new version will provide the ability to do this.
DragonSlayer
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Here are a few things we have talked about today. Pretty much concluded most of these but we want Moirae's and Ender's opinions on these too:

For intercontinental matches to count, either one of these:

1. The winning team must have 2/3 players from one continent and the losing team must have 2/3 from another continent
2. The winning team must have 3/3 from one continent and the losing team must have 2/3 from another continent

Note: Actually it's 2/3, 3/4, 4/5 or 3/3, 4/4 or 5/5 but we'll just put it in a good way in rules. You get the point.

---

For the purpose of enforcing our rules and counting intercontinental matches, remove the continent part when adding clans and replace it with a box for counting intercontinental matches in the match report form. The box has to checked on a match-to-match basis.

Assuming we are getting the new way to count intercontinental matches, this rule about fakenicking will be added:

1. If your clan has someone who isn't using his real nick, the opposing clan is allowed to ask and know who that person is.
2. In case of one or more of your players not using their real nicks in a SCTFL war, the administrators have the right to ask your clan to reveal their real names in the match report topic within 24 hours. Failure in doing so will lead to -3 point deduction to your clan.

---

We'll share the same banlist with SR in case of hackers.

---

Adding a "snarfed" section to statistics and hopefully a winning PCT as well.

---

Fake reporters will get a red card and will be banned for the rest of the league.

---

Minimap will have to be disabled on server (95% sure it's possible).

---

These are only rough versions, obviously not the way they will appear on rules.

AE/DragonSlayer
Ender
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Not true, you can also add clans as 'mixed'

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Ender wrote:
Quote:

Not true, you can also add clans as 'mixed'

Yeah but the point is that we still can't decide what matches are intercontinental and what not since it does them automatically. If you choose mixed, I assume it would count none of the matches as intercontinental.

AE/DragonSlayer
Ender
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
But setting internationalness on a per-match basis works against the purpose of the intercontinental rule! Instead of awarding clans from one continent for playing difficult to arrange / bad ping matches against clans from another continent it encourages clans that have players from both continents to line up people with bad pings instead of the players from the same continent as to get bonus points!

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I see your point. However, if they line up people with bad pings, that also means it's harder for them to win so it's not really easy to get extra points that way. The only way some clans could abuse this is that they only do it when they are the home team and get to play two rounds on their server. However, I think it's very unlikely any clans are going to do that, considering they aren't even going to know something has changed. The players won't notice anything being different because the rule will be the same as last season and only the way we count matches will be new.

Even though some clans could potentially get some extra points, it's not easy for them to arrange and I really doubt anyone would go through the trouble. And even if they did, it's still better to change the match counting system because the current one just can't do things well enough in my opinion. And choosing 'mixed' for a clan's continent wouldn't be fair to them. Even if they played intercontinental matches the way they should be played and following rules, they wouldn't get any extra points. We can't do that.

AE/DragonSlayer