Soldat CTF League Forums ~ Archive Forum Index

<  SCTFL Staff Talk  ~  Playoff BRacket

poop
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 22 Sep 2004 Posts: 1029 Location: USA
I talked to Dslayer in IRC about how we will construct the playoff bracket. Remember, we should try to balance out rankings in regular season and try to take away clans that try to position themselves against other bad clans in regular season. Here is a sort of preliminary system we came up with:

We are going to set positions for a certain amount of clans, either the top 6 or top 8. Also the top 3 clans will play the bottom 3. After that matches will be randomized. Ill detail it below. The question marks are the randomnized spots.

Bracket A (6 spots are set in stone):

1v16.............................2v15
?v?...............................?v?
5v?...............................6v?
4v?...............................3v14

Bracket B (8 spots are set in stone)

1v16.............................2v15
8v?...............................7v?
5v?...............................6v?
4v?...............................3v14

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 06 Jul 2005 Posts: 738 Location: France
I don't think either makes a huge difference, but I prefer the first bracket since it's more random.

(@xurich) if I'm not devirginized before next sctfl season, I am definitely quitting
(@xurich) allow me to make that clear
DragonSlayer
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
Administrator Joined: 06 Aug 2005 Posts: 1114 Location: Finland
Yeah, top one is cool, let's go with that one.

AE/DragonSlayer
Ouchek
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
Actually Id rather want it all random cept the 1vs16 2vs15 3vs14

As it worked perfect last season, I think this is what we should use, I don't like predefined brackets much.

(@xurich) if I'm not devirginized before next sctfl season, I am definitely quitting
DragonSlayer
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
I'm also fine with that, but Poop wanted it otherwise for some reason (sorry Poop, I forgot why ;_;) so I'll let him do the explaining.

AE/DragonSlayer
poop
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
If we make all matches random except top 3, then essentially rankings below the third rank dont matter (In respect to positioning) because the 4th place clan may be placed in a position where they play the first place clan in the second round or 4th place plays 5th place in first round, which is unfair because the 4th place clan should not have to meet with the 1st place clan until semis or 5th until quarters.

The point of randomizing matches is to prevent against setting up your position against a weaker clan, so clans really cant influence the clan they play too much. With a set bracket and random matches, clans cannot influence the clan they play, and we let it be fair in respect to performance in regular season because certain clans wont have to play certain other clans until a certain round of the playoffs. The whole point of a 1v16,2v15,3v14 bracket is that top clan should play worst clan initially, and slowly the skill of clans they play increases.

Obviously in freeplay this doesnt necesarily hold fully true because clan 11 might be worse than clan 16, or some other combo. However one thing that does stay true is that the top 6-8 clans are THE top clans in general (Other than SW). The top clans should not play other top clans until further down in the playoffs.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
I still believe randomizing it all is better :/

Being in the top3 is supposed to be a real advantage, and not the other spots or?
Also the higher ranked clan of each match does have an advantage anyway.

Gogo Randomisation!!

DragonSlayer
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
Well, while Poop has a point, I still have to say let's go with randomizing. Take a look at the the top 16 clans. Clans like SN, Ap and SoB aren't in top 8 and they are definitely all very tough clans. I think the middle part doesn't really tell much and besides, randomizing is pretty exciting and I think it's a fun way to do it, and it worked out really nicely last season so I think we should go with it this season too. With the amount of tough clans there are, there's no way all of them would end up on one side so it should work out imo.

AE/DragonSlayer
poop
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
well thats perfectly fine with me, but if something like EF vs SM happens right below asylum where EF plays SM first round and then the winner players asylum second round, think how fucked up that would be? 2 of top 5 clans out before the semifinals is pretty dumb IMO.

But if you guys believe in randomizing then thats fine with me, even though my proposal is basically random also anyways.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
if you pick bracket image before saturday i will automatize it asap but after that i will go on vacation to turkey for some time